25 January 2010

News on Two Fronts

I received a letter today from my cousin, Doris, who's mother was my maternal grandmother's older sister. She published a family history book on the Mudford's in 2004. I wrote her a few weeks ago and was anxiously awaiting her reply. I had asked her a number of questions, many of which she answered.
My Mudford line stems from Charles Mudford, born about 1814 in the Somerset area of England, as far as I can figure. He came to New York in the summer of 1837, bound for Lower Canada. He married Elizabeth King in 1843 in Montreal, and then doesn't show up until 1850 in Toronto, where he marries my ultimate grandmother, Hannah "Annie" Jackson. He had one child from the previous marriage, Charles, who last shows up in 1861. He also had a number of sons and daughters with Annie, one of whom was James Edward Mudford (1852-1931).
The questions were regarding two brothers, Walter Feere (b. 1901) and Frank Feere (b. 1905) who show up in the 1911 Census of Canada with my great great grandfather, James Edward Mudford, and his second wife, Jane Ellen Roberston (1872-1944). Walter also shows up with my ggg uncle, Austin William, and family in Maple Creek, Saskatchewan, in 1916. Both boys also appear in my great grandparents'. Robert Henry and Stella (Harris) Mudford, wedding photo, taken 1910.
Doris writes, "Walter and Frank Feere: My Mom always said she thought they were home children, but I see in your research Jane Ellen [Robertson] was born in Port Dover as were the Feere boys - possibly a connection there." Hmmm ... I really need to check in on the Feere (pronounce Fairy) surname, more.
I had made couple of mistakes in confusing Harold Henry, my last surviving Mudford great-uncle, and Howard Henry, my second cousin. I fixed that.
She also writes about a few other questions, but offers little in explanation. Unfortunately, it looks like I have more research than Doris -- a problem I find all too frequent.
The second front is concerning the Thompson line. Pat Thompson emailed me some information I need to disseminate before I post anything on it. It looks like, by the end of the month, I will have more research on this family!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am Walter Feere's Grandson. I know very little about him as he died about 14 years before I was born. I do know that he was born in Walsh, Ontario and had 9 siblings (2 mothers). He went to Saskatchewan with an older brother and worked on a farm. He met his wife there (Ruth Goudie) and returned to Ontario and had 6 children of his own. Frank married a lady in the west of Canada and had a few children. One recently contacted me, she is a pastor's wife in Georgia and is now about 85 years old. Walter died in 1958 and is buried in Walsh.

Al Feere

Trevor R. Shelly said...

Al, if you are still out there, email me. I had tried to mail a Rev. Al Feere in Stoney Creek, but the letter was returned. The connection our two families shared needs a voice. I would be willing to give it that voice.

Trevor

Post a Comment