24 January 2010

News on the Thompson Front

After coming home and taking down the Christmas lights and decorations outside, I sat down to do a little digging. It's funny, I had meant to just spend some time warming up (although it was really a warm day) and got hooked. At first, I search for any Alvey or Alva Thompson's to be found in 1861. Only one was found - living with a family at age 20. From GGG Grandfather's death record, I knew he was born in Lennox County, and from the obituary I knew he came to Norfolk "as a young man." Since no other Alva's were found, this had to be him.
Hmmm .... so I checked to names on the census. Although very difficult to read, I finally surmised that it was Joel and Mill Thompson, with Joel being born about 1830 in Upper Canada. Since the census says Alva is a member of household, I thought Joel must be his brother. In searching for a Joel Thompson (b. abt. 1830), I ran across one, the son of William and Hanna (Wees) Thompson in Lennox County. One tree says he was married to a Mary Mills. At that point, I had to walk away, and do what I have done since university when I need to think - keep my hands busy in household chores.
So, the evening went by (yes, I returned to the computer, but only to email a couple of researchers who have posted their trees on Ancestry.ca), and went to bed at a decent time. Since I had not a clue as to how to develop a game plan to solve this riddle, I knew I needed more time to consider my findings - what's better than sleep for that? The next morning, I woke and returned to the computer to check my email (something I have to do at least 4 times a day to stay on top of things). Lo' and behold, a Pat Thompson had emailed me! She said my Alva could not be part of her William and Hannah (Wees) Thompson tree, but she had run across him and had no idea where he fit in. Crestfallen, I returned to my primary line of research - to find the parents recorded on Alvey Thompson's death record - John and Jane Thompson.
Well, I have now spent a couple of hours researching - no luck. The only John and Jane Thompson on the 1852 census are from Woodhouse Township in Norfolk County -no children. As well, the only Alva Thompson is living with a Blyth Armstrong in North Gwillimbury Township, York County. So, here I stand, being no further than nearly 40 hours ago.

0 comments:

Post a Comment