13 February 2010

Some Tidbits on Why I Love (Hate) Technology

These past few weeks, I have found myself organizing my research in ways that will make it easier for me to identify individuals and place them in my family tree. I receive between 10 and 15 emails per week from various people researching their family tree. I try to answer each email within 24 hours, but sometimes have difficulty locating the name - usually when I can't get to my ancestry file.
So, I have printed off each of the 32 branches of my family tree. It also gives me an idea of where I need to focus my research over the next little while. There are obvious gaps that need further study.
One thing I like to do on a regular basis is to use World Vital Records to find vital news records to help me in both filling in information that succeeds normal vital stats years. It also provides context for the individual within a time, within a community, and is otherwise nice to have. WVR's Paper of Record resources have been down for the past three weeks. I pointed out the problem about a week ago and still have not had it fixed. I wouldn't be so upset usually, but I would love to have the news article on my ggg grandfather's shooting (Jame William Harris) to go along with the death record and family stories.
I guess that's why technology is such a fickle mistress. While she intrigues me with her ease of access, she is quick to turn access off at the most inopportune times. Just when I need something, a whole group of records data goes down. Hopefully, it is not as big of a problem as when Paper of Record had difficulties in record retrieval - that took almost six weeks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment