07 February 2010

When It Rains, It Pours

Since my last post, it had been pretty quiet. Then, in a matter of 48 hours, everything changed.
First, I got in contact with Deb Glover, UE. She has been researching the Glover family, whom Sarah Ann Glover (1838-1915) is a member of. She is my great great great grandmother, who married Frederick Cline (1830-1896) and subsequently had my great great grandmother (and twin), Alfretta Amelia Cline (1861-1941).
Unlike most of my research, I had used another researcher's information to fill out the Cline branch. This researcher is well known in Norfolk County, so I will not give his name here. Fortunately, there are some researchers out there that do make sure their research is valid and accurate - Deb is one of them. She let me know that my suspicions were correct. My Cline branch was incorrect!
I had looked at the 1852 and 1861 Census of Upper Canada and found a Clement and Catherine Cline as heads of the household that my Frederick Cline lived in. This was in discordance to LPS's "research" that said Frederick and Olive (Nunn) Cline were his parents. Deb put the final nail in the coffin on that matter - her research was conclusive in the fact that Frederick's parents were Clement Cline and Catherine Powers.
So, I have been working furiously this weekend getting the Cline branched researched. On Thursday night, I was browsing the Norfolk County message board and came across a thread titled, "James Harris shooting in 1876 - newspaper article?" About three months prior, I had come across a death record for James Harris, born about 1828 in Upper Canada, who was shot by Constable McKay "endeavouring to make him prisoner." I had then pulled the newspaper article in the Simcoe Reformer. None of the information, except for the name, birth date and location of the shooting, led me to conclusively identify the man as my great great great grandfather, James William Harris. So, I put it in my Ancestry shoebox.
The thread, though, showed that I was right to suspect the man being my ggg grandfather. Jim McCallum and Helen Bingleman commented that this was my ggg grandfather and had both historical and familial proof positive to the identity of James Harris.
So, guess what? I have another avenue to research! Jim sent me some information - 50 pages - to pour over. I have to send some information back soon. He also sent a picture of my great grandparents, Robert Henry Mudford (1884-1976) and Stella Harris (1891-1950). My mother is flabbergasted - Stella (Harris) Mudford looks uncannily like Stella Ruth (Dedrick) Shelly! I guess the namesake was a good choice!

0 comments:

Post a Comment