01 February 2010

Not Much Happening

There's not much happening this week. I received a couple of emails about two separate branches. The first one is from my cousin, Connie, the daughter of my cousin, Marion. Marion is the benefactor of the original collection of my family photos. She has over a dozen photo albums that belonged to her mother, Mabel Luedell (Shelly) Pretty, pictured to the left with her husband, Harry "Pete" Leighton Pretty. Great Aunt Mabel was the sister of my Grandpa, Harry Walter Shelly. The email contained numerous pictures with names and dates. I have the pictures, but I think I might have some of the names wrong.
Every so often, someone corrects me on a genealogy mistake. I enjoy criticism and reviewing by peers - it adds credence to my research. This time, Deb Glover suggested that I have the wrong parents for Frederick Cline (1830-1896). This weekend, I'll take the time to review her suggestions (i.e., to look at the 1861 Census of Upper Canada). I will have to take a couple of hours to review the research I have done, compare it to the Norfolk Cline researcher's findings and correlate to Mrs. Glover's.
The picture to the left gets me nostalgic for the days when we used to go up to Bracebridge to visit family. We would stay with Uncle Pete and Aunt Mabel, and be awakened by the smells of breakfast and quite talk between my grandparents and various family members. My Aunt Mabel was the eldest of the clan, and held both a place of honour and love in our hearts. She died the same year my Grandpa passed on, signalling the end of an era. I truly miss both people, and wish - like most family historians - I had just a few minutes with them to tell how much I appreciated them and to get a few questions answered. You see, not much was spoken about my great grandfather's siblings. Aunt Bertha Robb used to visit, but nothing was ever said about the sad demise of Grandpa Frank's younger brother, or the absence of his other siblings, Emma Ruth Bye, Charles Theodore Shelly (who died young in 1948), or of Deli Labetus, the missing sibling. Just one more minute ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment