26 April 2010

I'm Back With a Vengeance!

I really haven't had the chance to update the blog in over two months. It wasn't that I had nothing to say, it's just that my focus turned to trying to solve a few of the mysteries that lie within my family history.
The major mystery is what happened to my 4th great grandfather, Squire R. Harris. On the left, in yellow, is where Squire R. Harris lived from about 1834 through to 1863. Squire was a Yeoman, which was a member of the local militia who owned land as a result of his gentrified position (i.e., received land as part of his clerical position or military service). He was a gentleman farmer, who had servants and farmhands to take care of his small estate. In the 1862 Gazetteer of Oxford County, Squire R. is said to occupy lot 16 of the Broken Front Concession, which lies to the south of Thames River near Centerville in West Oxford Township.
So, the mystery lies in the question of Squire's date and location of death. It has been suggested that he died in 1865 in the nearby town of Ingersoll. By 1871, his widow, Elizabeth Jane, nee Van Amburgh, had married another prosperous Yeoman, Eli Harris, the father James Harris, famous for the Mammoth Cheese. It is unclear why she decided to marry another Harris. She then emigrated to Michigan, with most of her children, except for my 3rd great grandfather, James William Harris, who moved to Walsingham Township in Norfolk County.
Taking all of the facts into consideration, Squire R. Harris most likely died in Oxford County. He may have died in Michigan, maybe scouting land to move his family to, but this is a long shot. Over a year ago, I searched the wills at the archives of the Oxford Historical Society. I didn't find much, but intend to return soon.
Well, I guess that's it for now. I have much more to talk about, but it will have to wait until next time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment